Nine-week Mary MacKillop Novena
|Blessed Mary MacKillop.|
A special Novena of Prayer has been developed the Sisters of St Joseph for use in parishes, schools, communities and small groups to assist people in their spiritual preparation for the Canonisation of Mary MacKillop in October.
Sr Monica Cavanagh rsj, who developed the Novena, said it may also be used by individuals in preparation for Mary’s canonisation on 17 October.
“It may be used on a weekly basis in the nine weeks leading up to her canonisation (8 August to 17 October), in the nine days prior to canonisation or in any other appropriate way in preparation for this event,” Sr Monica said.
In the introduction to the Novena, Sr Monica writes that Mary MacKillop spoke of God as the God of tender love and a God who takes care of us in all our needs.
“May these short reflections lead you into the heart of God. May you, like Mary MacKillop, discover there the God of tenderness, compassion and goodness,” she said.
The nine reflections are based on themes related to Mary MacKillop's Life:
- Mary MacKillop - Faithful Religious Woman
- Mary MacKillop - Advocate for the poor
- Mary MacKillop - Teacher and Educator
- Mary MacKillop - Model for Pilgrims seeking Christ
- Mary MacKillop - Living by the power of the Cross
- Mary MacKillop - A woman of the Church
- Mary MacKillop - Proclaiming the Gospel
- Mary MacKillop - With an openness to other faith traditions
- Mary MacKillop - Inspiring people to work for peace and justice
(Permission is not required to make copies of this novena)
« Return to news list